Shadow Art – Kick Start

I used shadows to create this type of art.

We needed to go outside and find a shadow on a sunny day, but I made do with shadows around my house.

First, I found my shadow, then traced around it. To add some variety, I coloured in both artworks. I did one artwork with the shadow coloured in(left), and one artwork with the background of the shadow coloured in(right).

The hardest part was tracing the shadow, because most of the edges were blurred. Unfortunately, the sky was cloudy, which made less light shine through. With both of the artworks, I added more lines to them which I thought should be there. Can you guess what plants I drew?

Which artwork is your favorite, and why?

6 thoughts on “Shadow Art – Kick Start

1. Talofa Lava Jamie

it’s your friend Madelyn! And I absolutely love your artwork. My favorite artwork is the 1st one, I love how you put a yellow shade behind the black one. It gives the picture more volume.

And to answer your question, I think the 1st one looks like a branch from a plant. The 2nd one looks like a branch but with longer leaves. Did I get it right?

Keep up the good work! And have a good day today and a happy New Year as well!
    Madelyn

1. Talofa Maddy
      thanks for commenting on my blog post! The shadow behind the shadow is actually a yellow-green colour in real life, but you are right – it does look yellow.

You are so close Maddy! The first picture is actually vines and the second flowers. For me, it is hard to tell, mostly because the shadow of the plants were blurry and I couldn’t get the exact shadow of it.
      You should try this activity, today is not so cloudy and I think you would like it.

Have a great day and a happy New year!!
      Your friend Jamie

2. Kia ora Jamie,

It is Charlotte here, a blog commenter from the Summer Learning Journey. Well done on your awesome post! I think this activity is great because you can be as creative as you would like.

I did wonder how people were going to complete this activity due to the weather but you have done a fantastic job! The drawing actually reminds me of seaweed and the second reminds me of an orchard. Was I right?

I think it is great how you have completed two different styles of shadow drawing – I was trying to decide which was my favourite but I just couldn’t – they are both so great. Which is your favourite?

Ngā Mihi Nui
    Charlotte Visser
    Summer Learning Journey

1. Kia Ora Charlotte
      thank you for commenting on my blog. I think most bloggers used artificial light instead of real light. Good thing it’s mostly sunny, I might re-do this activity! Are we allowed to re-do activities?

You are correct on the orchid plant which is a flower, and the first one was actually vines, but now that I think about it seaweed and vines look similar.

Haha, thank you for your kind comment! My favorite artwork is the vines(1st) because I don’t think I should have coloured in the orchid. I think the orchid would look better with just one colour, or a gradient.

Thank you for your kind comment, have a happy New year and a lovely day Charlotte!
      Jamie

1. Kia ora Jamie,

Ah yes, that makes sense. We are lucky that the second half of our NZ summer has been much sunnier – the perfect weather for this activity!

I love orchids! They are beautiful – I got one for my birthday this year. I actually quite like that your orchid is coloured in, because actual orchids have so much beautiful colour.

Ngā Mihi Nui
        Charlotte Visser
        Summer Learning Journey

1. Kia Ora Charlotte
          thank you for replying to my comment! I’m glad that you see my picture from another positive perspective, I’m starting to change my mind about the colour!

Thank you so much for replying, have a lovely day, enjoy the rest of your holiday and God bless you and your family!
          Jamie