Vibrant Viola – Step-It-Up!

I composed a piece of music using Google Arts & Culture. It makes me think sad and somber thoughts at the start, but slowly but surely, it turns from a minor to a major(figuratively).

Ode to Joy was his most famous and last symphony; Symphony No. 9 or the Ninth which was composed between 1822 – 1824. That was also during the time he was completely deaf.

People are not completely sure why Beethoven was deaf, but it was most likely because of compression of the eighth cranial nerve(2 nerves) which is responsible for maintaining body balance, eye movements, and hearing. Some people think Paget’s disease of bone(disease which disrupts the replacement of old bone tissue with new bone) has caused deafness.

If you were to compose your own music, how would you make the listener feel?

Sad, happy, jealous?

2 thoughts on “Vibrant Viola – Step-It-Up!

1. Kia ora Jamie,

What a fabulous blog post. I have marked this blog post as outstanding because of the detailed description and taking the extra time to include a screencastify. Just make sure when you are researching information that you relay that information into your description in your own words. If you don’t understand something, it is better to leave it out.

All your research about Beethoven and his final symphony made me curious so I did some research of my own. Ode to Joy was originally written with German lyrics seeing as Beethoven was in fact German. I did translate the lyrics and it was like a mixture of a poem and a story. I think what makes Ode to Joy so famous was that Beethoven was next to deaf when composing it which is just magnificently crazy isn’t it.

What a good question Jamie. If I was going to compose a piece of music I think I’d want people to feel grateful for all they have. I would want people to think and contemplate all the things that bring joy to their life. How would you want your listeners to feel? Also, if you could play an instrument, what instrument would you play?

Tino pai Jamie,
    Anna
    SLJ

1. Kia Ora Anna
      thank you for your lovely comment! I will make sure to write information in my own words. I added that info in-case anyone wanted to know why Beethoven was deaf, but no one really knew anyway.

I also should have added more info about Ode to Joy instead of Beethoven’s deafness.! I agree with you that it is crazy that he had the ability to compose something so beautiful. But it all comes to show that he is one of the greatest composers of all time, even when deaf.

I would also want to make listeners feel happy, and grateful for their life. To also make them really listen to what the singer or instrument is really trying to say, whether it is sad, or happy. To answer your other question, I actually already play 2 intstruments; the guitar and the piano. If I were to choose another instrument to play, I’d choose the violin because of how deep and soothing the sounds I could make to express myself and the instrument.

Thank you for your questions, have a lovely day and a happy New Year!!
      Jamie