Vibrant Viola – Kick Start

Using Google Arts Viola the Bird, I have ‘played’ Ode to Joy by Beethoven. I have inserted a screen recording so you can see and listen to the performance. The music was fairly simple and easy to play as we just had to swipe the mousepad. I also couldn’t figure out how to hold the notes longer.

Fun facts!

1. He was the 3rd Ludwig van Beethoven in his family
  2. Beethoven’s birth date is not completely known. His baptism was on December 17, 1770. Most babies were baptised 1 or 2 days after birth
  3. At 11 years old, Beethoven had to leave school and became the breadwinner at only 14 years old because his father was unable to provide for the family
  4. Beethoven’s first performance was in March 1778 when he was 7 and 1/2 years old. To impress the audience, his father made him believe he was 6 years old
  5. Beethoven composed lots of pieces while he was deaf(started deafening from 1798), such as Moonlight Sonata and the 9th Symphony

What is your favorite piece from Beethoven?

2 thoughts on “Vibrant Viola – Kick Start

1. Good afternoon Jamie,

I had the same issue with trying to hold the note. I did get better at it but I suspect you need a special mouse or a very high tech mousepad or something to hold the note for longer periods of time. You did a good job though. It was easy to hear Ode to Joy when you played, I even found myself humming along. Have you heard the song before?

I did not know that Beethoven left school so early and had to start work. Do you know what job he worked? What a tough childhood he had. I think the fact he continued to compose despite his hearing disappearing is the part about him that I most admire. So many people would give up but he loved it so much that he persevered and this is what inspired people. Did you know the audience knew he was unable to hear their clapping so when he turned around to take his bow the crowd threw their hats to show him the congratulations and celebration he deserved.

Who is your favourite musician and why Jamie?

Anna
    SLJ

1. Ahiahi pai Anna
      thank you for your lovely comment. I finally figured out how to hold the notes longer! You need to go to the end of the violin bow and press down to get the longest sound it can make.

To answer your question, I have heard Ode to Joy before. When I was young, the first time I heard Ode to Joy was as a music sheet for piano. I was really happy when I played it, I thought all the notes sounded perfectly together – it was not played perfectly though, as you’d expect from a 7 year old!

Also, from what I have researched on Google, Beethoven first worked as an assistant organist which is a person who assists in planning worship and music events. I really do admire Beethoven for striving to continue his music career.
      I wonder how he knew (or didn’t) what notes sounded perfect together? Maybe he had someone to listen to his music and give him feedback. I find it very thoughtful of the audience to throw their hats and scarves up into the air to show Beethoven their thanks and enjoyment! To answer your last question, my favorite musician(band) is Third Eye Blind because of how catchy the songs are and the deep meanings and messages they convey.

Thank you for your lovely comment, have a great day and a HAPPY New Year!!(sorry for the very long reply)
      Jamie