Colour Block Landscape – Step-It-Up

I have created a sunset landscape using Google Drawings. I have used colour contrast to make the sunset stand out. To do this, (in this sunset case) you need to make all other components darker than what you would originally wanted it to be. For example, you want a blue sea and the sun to stand out, make the blue sea darker like in my artwork below.

Don’t you just love the lovely orange and golden yellow colours during a sunset or a sunrise? But have you ever wondered why they are orange instead of blue?

Warm colours’ wavelengths are longer than cool colours’ wavelengths. When a sunset or sunrise takes place, this means more of the blue and green wavelengths are scattered away, resulting in the oranges, yellows, and reds you see in the sky.

This is what I was inspired by:

What would your landscape look like, and why?

4 thoughts on “Colour Block Landscape – Step-It-Up

1. Kia ora Jamie,

What an awesome sunset landscape you have created. I like how you have stuck to the darker shades of colours. It makes me think it’s quite late in the evening because the sun is nearly fully below the horizon. I also like how you have chosen contrasting colours like black against the orange and then the dark blue. It makes ever part of the piece of art standout in some way. I like how you also included a reflection of the sun in the ocean.

The only suggestion I have is maybe including some dark shadowed people watching the sunset from land? I think it would bring an added relaxation to the piece of art.

Did you know sunsets on Mars look so very different to ours. Check out the link below and find out an interesting fact you can share with your friends.
    Nasa

Keep up the good work Jamie, I look forward to seeing what you get up to next.
    Anna
    SLJ

1. Ahiahi pai Anna
      thank you for your very thoughtful comment! Contrast and simplicity were the main points I was going for here. But your idea of people’s silhouettes, I will take that in mind!

I didn’t know Mars has different sunsets! I will definitely check that out. I wonder if Moons have sunsets or sunrises, and if they do, what would they look like.?
      Thank you for the lovely comment Anna, have a great day and a happy and blessed New Year!!
      Jamie

2. Kia ora ano Jamie,
    You have done a great job of creating a sunset landscape. I think it really effective because it is so simple. It would look fabulous printed on a t-shirt! Maybe that could be your next challenge?
    Nā, Mrs Penno

1. Kia Ora Mrs Penno
      thank you for commenting on my blog, I’m glad you like my sunset landscape! I agree that because it is so simple it is not too overwhelming with too much going on – although I think a few people looking to the distance would be nice!
      The landscape on a t-shirt would look cool too, what other objects do you think the landscape would look good on?

Thank you for commenting and for the feedback, have a lovely day and God bless!
      Jamie