Tangrams – Step-It-Up

I solved 4 advanced Tangram puzzles!

To describe the pictures using math vocab:

The football picture(top left) used reflection symmetry for the football, because the red and blue isosceles triangles have exactly the same angles, and together makes a square. The arms and legs of the picture are made up of shapes that have acute angles.

The wolf picture(top right) is using shapes with their vertices pointing to the top left, which is what the wolf is doing. The head(red, green, blue shapes) and the torso(pink triangle) look like the tail of the wolf(rhombus), but on a bigger scale(proportional/corresponding area). The shapes of the wolf look slanted to the left, like a rhombus(tail of wolf).

The Sydney Opera House(bottom left) uses most of the 3-sided polygons with their vertices pointing upward, like a castle or mountain.

The scorpion picture(bottom right) uses reflection symmetry with two isosceles triangles(blue and pink) to make another larger sized isosceles. The red triangle in-between the smaller blue triangle and the rhombus looks similar to the larger sized isosceles polygon(proportional/corresponding area. They also both have vertices pointing upwards.

How would you describe these images?

Please leave a positive comment down below.

4 thoughts on “Tangrams – Step-It-Up

1. Malo e lelei Jamie,

What an awesome step up from your last tangram post, I like that to step it up the task introduces much more maths vocabulary such as perimeter, rotational symmetry, and angles. Did you find that the addition of these maths concepts made the activity harder? Or was it still as fun as the kick start?

My favourite tangram you have made is definitely the Sydney Opera House or the scorpion because they look beautiful and I love the detailed description of the shapes and rules used to make them. Incredible job Jamie, another outstanding blog post!!

It is great to see you participating in the summer learning journey again this year and I look forward to seeing more of your awesome posts, keep up the great work!

Ngā mihi nui,
    Zana Yates
    SLJ

1. Kia Ora Zana
      thanks for the awesome comment! The math concepts certainly made the task even more challenging, and with it; even more fun! I agree that the Sydney Opera House and the scorpion look really cool. I also liked the snitch Tangram puzzle we could have done, but I could see the lines separating the puzzle, giving out the answers!! I wouldn’t feel good if I had cheated. Thanks so much for commenting, please respond and have a Merry Christmas with your family and friends!!
      Jamie

2. Kia ora Jamie, Swaimah here
    I love all the tangrams art you did. All the shapes you used are mostly common in maths. I think one of your art pieces are a Fox, The one at the top right. I love how creative you are with your art/maths skills.

Questions

Whats your favourite art piece you made?

Your Friend, Swaimah <3

1. Kumusta Swaimah
      thanks for your kind comment! My favorite art piece I have made in the Tangrams is the star because it was difficult, but I managed to solve it. What was the most difficult Tangram puzzle for you to solve? Please reply if you can, and have a Merry Christmas with your family!!
      Your friend, Jamie <3