My Bug Profile – Step-It-Up

I have created a bug profile for the Giant Weta(wetapunga). Did you know? ‘Wetapunga’ means ‘god of ugly things’?

I chose this bug because I remember finding a large weta in my school, on a tree.

Some factors that I think make the giant weta so big are:

• adapt to habitat
  • no predators; which will let them grow or predators; which will make them adapt
  • habitat perfect; which lets them grow the biggest they can be

Why else do you think the giant weta is so big?

4 thoughts on “My Bug Profile – Step-It-Up

1. Kia ora Jamie,

It’s Charlotte here, a Summer Learning Journey Blog Commenter. Well done giving the ‘Big of the Year’ activity a go! How did you find this activity? I thought it was lots of fun!

What an interesting fact! I guess it kind of makes sense that the Giant Weta would be considered ‘God of Ugly Things’, haha.

Although I’ve seen a lot of Wetas before, I hadn’t actually taken the time to research or learn anything about them. That is the cool thing about commenting on different blogs – I get to learn something new everyday! What was the most interesting fact you learnt?

Ngā Mihi Nui
    Charlotte Visser
    Summer Learning Journey

1. Kia Ora Charlotte
      thank you for your lovely comment. I thought this activity was a bit more on the challenging side, mostly because I couldn’t find the info I needed.

The most interesting fact I learnt, is that they can weigh up to 71 grams which is about an egg(info from the internet)! Isn’t that crazy?

Thank you for commenting, have a happy New year and a lovely day!
      Jamie

1. Kia ora Jamie,

Although you mentioned this activity was more on the challenging side, however it looks awesome. Quite often hard work pays off!

You are right, that is a very interesting fact. I have seen some very big Weta, so it makes a bit of sense. Have you ever seen a Weta before?

Ngā Mihi Nui
        Charlotte Visser
        Summer Learning Journey

1. Kia Ora Charlotte
          thank you for replying to my comment, I’m glad you like my Bug Profile!
          I think I have seen a Giant Weta before, but I’m not really sure if it was a Giant Weta. It was on my school’s tree, and if I remember correctly it was shedding?

Thank you very much for replying to my comment, have a lovely day, enjoy the rest of your holiday and God bless you and your family!!
          Jamie