Bomb Gone

Bomb Gone

The atomic bomb                                 The men lined up against the wall                          The men in their uniform

The word “bomb” keeps echoing in my mind. I really can’t believe we’re going to witness one! I stow away the last sack of heavy white sugar in a wooden box. Whew, that’s all done now. I wipe the sweat away from my forrid with my hand. I grab the last pair of safety goggles in the storage room located next to the cabin rooms. I take a peek in my cabin. I wish I could go back to bed but it’s not like I get enough sleep anyways. All these jobs are making my head hurt. I place the safety goggles on my eyes and adjust the straps at the back of my head to fit snug. 

“8:25,” the broadcaster speaks. “Hands sit down facing starboard.” It’s finally time to observe the explosive. I rush out of the small hallway heading to the portside area of the boat. All of the men line up against the wall of the boat as a chill runs down my spine. I can’t wait to see the astounding reds and oranges blooming from the bomb. I sit in a crouching position against the wall as I take a glance at the darkened portside screens. I wonder what they’re doing.

“8:29, 60 seconds to the burst.” Lub dub, lub dub. My heart pulsates as I imagine the mushroom cloud sprouting from dust. I fidget with my hands to pass the time and take a nap. “3, 2, 1.” I finally wake up from my short slumber. “Bomb Gone! 1, 2, 3..” Wait a second, am I burning? I look down at my hands. My eyes were closed! I actually open my eyes and take off my goggles. “14, 15. Take goggles off and face burst.” Standing up, a mushroom cloud sprouts from dust and the arrays of reds and yellows are striking. But my blood still boils.

Hours pass by and the colours are still lingering in my thoughts.. In the corner of my eye.