Connecting with Your Whenua – Kick Start

I have created a nature collage using pictures of nature in my backyard. I used the polyline tool to trace around a tree I made to cover up some parts of the picture, making the pictures look like a tree. The pictures I took of were a guava tree, feijoa tree, the sun, and palm tree leaves.

Facts about your Whenua(nature):

1. Our Whenua has been here before us and will be here after us. We need to protect it for the future generations to come
  2. Our Whenua improves our well-being. It is living like us, and it gives us a sense of calmness and resources too

Do you have any other facts about our Whenua?

4 thoughts on “Connecting with Your Whenua – Kick Start

1. Kia ora Jamie,

I love how you used pictures from your own backyard and turned it into a tree. It is like tree’s inside a tree. What a clever idea. Where did you get the idea? Was it tricky to create the tree?

It’s awesome that you have a feijoa and guava tree. Feijoa’s are one of my favourite fruits. What is your favourite fruit?

I do have a few facts about our whenua. Or more thoughts. Our land is all we have. It is where our fruit and veges grow, it’s where our meat grazes, it’s where we live and enjoy life. Without our whenua we would not have the beautiful food we have today. That is why I think it is so important to look after our planet. What do you do to look after our whenua?

Anna
    SLJ

1. Morena Anna
      thank you for commenting on my blog! I got the tree idea from an activity I did in class, about something like a collage of our class, and I used the same technique as the tree to make it look like our class shaped into Jesus.
      Here’s the link to the blog: https://spsjamieb.edublogs.org/2023/07/26/the-body-of-christ-we-are-the-church/

Feijoas are one of my favorite fruits too, along with blueberries, tamarinds and many more!

What I do to look after our Whenua is to pick up rubbish whenever and wherever I can. I always encourage others (especially at my school) to not litter. Did you know we have ‘Caught Being Good’ certificates at our school?

Thank you for the questions and comments, enjoy the rest of your holiday and God bless you and your family!!
      Jamie

2. Kia ora Jamie,

Thank you so much for sharing the beautiful whenua from your own backyard! How awesome is it to have fruit trees? I’m not a huge fan of feijoas, but I do like guava!

I really like how you have used skills you have learnt in class to share through the Summer Learning Journey – koia kei a koe!

I think our whenua is really important, like both you and Anna said – it is what nourishes us and everything else living on the Earth and we need to protect it for the future generations. We are really lucky in New Zealand to have such great natural beauty whenever we look outside!

Keep up the amazing work you are doing on the SLJ!

Whaea Stacey

1. Kia Ora Whaea Stacy
      thank you for commenting on my blog! It is very great to have fruit trees, especially in the harvesting season because I can go outside with my brother and get the fruits from the tree or on the ground.

Thank you so much for the questions and the comments, have a lovely day, enjoy the rest of your holiday and God bless you and your family!
      Jamie