Notan Art – Kick Start

I have created Notan Art using Google Drawings. I created this art inspired by things that are happy and funny. This activity was really easy to do and also looks cool.

Did you know that the Notan concept illustrates how positive and negative space meet, and that one cannot exist without the other? Like ying and yang, day and night. The way the objects are placed, are to create a feeling of balance within the artwork.

Have you ever seen or created a Notan artwork?

6 thoughts on “Notan Art – Kick Start

1. Mōrena Jamie,

This looks to be such a fun art activity, I have actually seen Notan art before in a Japanese art exhibit, Did you know that the main concept of Notan art is the yin and yang symbol and showing the contrast between light and dark. Very fun and meaningful idea!

I think your art looks incredible, I like all the uses of different characters and symbols. My favourites are definitely the warped smiley faces! What was your inspiration behind your art?

What did you enjoy or find challenging about this activity?

Ngā mihi nui,
    Zana Yates
    SLJ

1. Morena Zana
      thank you for commenting on my blog! My inspiration for this artwork was originally going to be faces(emojis) with different expressions. I didn’t want to add anything sad or mad, so I made things that are happy or funny!

What I found slightly challenging was flipping and adjusting the position of the objects after I decided to change the size of the object. Have you tried out this activity?

Thank you for commenting, have a lovely day and God bless!
      Jamie

2. Kia ora Jamie,

I love how you have innovated on the Notan idea and used the gradient tool to colour some of your shapes and characters! I may just use that idea when I use this lesson in the future.
    Have you though about giving the Step it Up activity a go? I think with your super Google Drawing skills you could create an awesome themed piece of work.

Whaea Michelle

1. Kia Ora Whaea Michelle
      thank you for commenting on my blog! I am on my way to the Step it up activity. Thank you very much for commenting on my blog, have a lovely day and God bless!
      Jamie

3. Talofa Lava Jamie

Estherose Here! You have done a lovely job of your Notan Art work. It is really creative and outdone as you have put a lot of effort in it. What was your inspiration behind this Art work? I love the gradient added in there to give your Notan Art a bold effect.

I hope you have a Blessed day and God Bless!

Your Friend – Estherose

1. Talofa Esther
      thank you for commenting on my blog!! My inspiration was things that are funny or silly. I decided not to add anything sad or mad because I wanted this artwork to be joyful. I will take a look at your Notan Art, Esther; I have high hopes !

Keep up the great work Esther, have a blessed day too and God bless you and your family!!!
      Your best friend, Jamie