Tessellations – Step-it-Up

I have created tessellations that are regular, semi-irregular and irregular. Creating an irregular tessellation was most difficult for me because I didn’t know what shape to use and how I should connect it to other shapes to create a tessellation.

The difference between regular, semi-irregular and irregular tessellations is that they all have rules. Neither has to have a gap between the shapes.

Vocabulary:

Regular tessellations contain regular polygons(all sides are the same number and all vertices the same angle) that have exactly the same faces, vertices and size

Semi-irregular tessellations contain combinations of shapes that have their internal angles(vertices) add up to 360 degrees

Irregular tessellations contain irregular polygons(either all sides and vertices not equal, sides not equal, vertices not equal) that fit together perfectly like a puzzle

2 thoughts on “Tessellations – Step-it-Up

1. Mōrena Jamie,

What another incredible post, you did such an amazing job stepping up from your last tessellations post and I can see that you challenged yourself with some different shapes and colours.

I also think you did an incredible job at explaining the difference between the kick star and step up as well as the differences between the types of tessellations.. I was able to successfully tell exactly what kind of tessellation you had made with help from your awesome explorations in your description.

Did you find this activity to be more challenging than the kick start?

Ngā mihi nui,
    Zana Yates
    SLJ

1. Morena Zana
      thank you for commenting on my post. This activity had the same concept of the kick start, but it was slightly harder – still fun though! Have you tried this activity out yourself?

Thank you for commenting, have a great day!
      Jamie