Tessellations – Kick Start

I have created a tessellation using 6-sided polygons – hexagons. I created the tessellation to look like a honeycomb or a bee’s hive.

Regular tessellations are patterns using polygons. You can only make regular tessellations with regular polygons because the internal angles(vertexes) of the polygon have to add up to 360.

For example, squares tessellate because one of their internal angles(which is 90 degrees) can multiply by 4 to make 360 degrees.

Vocabulary:

Tessellate: meaning to tile a surface/make pattern

Regular polygon: shape that has all sides the same length and all angles are the same measure(number) ex. square

Tessellations: filling a space with a repeating pattern of identical shapes

How do you think tessellations help in our everyday lives?

2 thoughts on “Tessellations – Kick Start

1. Mōrena Jamie,

What an incredible post, you did such an amazing job introducing this activity and explaining to your readers exactly what tessellations are. Do you know when you would use them in maths?

I personally enjoy this activity because I think tessellations are very satisfying when done correctly!! What did you enjoy about this activity?

I think the tesselation you created is very cool. I like that you also included a lit exemplar showing the angles used and your vocabulary section is very helpful!

Ngā mihi nui,
    Zana Yates
    SLJ

1. Morena Zana
      thank you for commenting on my post.
      I think I would use tessellations in math when studying about angles, and the internal angles of a shape.
      I remember my teacher sticking tape on the table from different angles, and we had to find out all the angles. What I did was to see if all the angles added up to 360, which is what you do if you want to create a tessellation with shapes.

What I enjoyed about this activity was learning and discovering more and more about tessellations. Creating the tessellations was the difficult part.

Thank you for commenting, have a lovely day and God bless!
      Jamie